Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"Why Mike is a Yankees Fan" by Mike Agagas

I didn't start watching baseball until 1995 when I decided that I hated the fact that my hockey team, The Canuks, was a Canadian team. Don't get me wrong - I don't hate Canada. I just didn't like the sound of the team - Canuk. I needed something that felt better - something that rolled off the tongue easier.

This was OK since I just started hockey in '94. I wasn't that heavily invested in the team anyway. So I chose the New York Rangers as my new team since they played under the same roof as my basketball team - The Knicks.

I've been a Knicks fan way before Magic had HIV. I'm pretty positive about that (but not HIV positive).

But getting back to baseball - why the Yankees? Why not The Marlins or the local favorite Atlanta Braves whose pitching lineup at that time was epic?

I wanted a team with history, but for some reason that wasn't enough. There's a lot of historic baseball teams.

I tried looking up Hall of Fame baseball players to see what teams they were on. Ruth, Cobb, Robinson, Aaron, Bench - for some reason I wasn't impressed enough to choose a team still.

But one day I heard an old recording of a speech I'd heard when I was a kid. As a kid I didn't know it was baseball player or even cared. All I really knew was that he was a good, humble man. I guess it's the Asian in me that likes humility and stuff.

Most people think of the the Yankees as the cocky team that buys its talent with the buzillion of dollars it has in its coffers, and they revel in the fact that they still manage to lose and have bad seasons from time to time. I guess other teams pay their players with cupcakes and win the World Series every year.



I could care less about Babe Ruth, the record World Series wins, or all their Hall of Famers. All I care about is that Lou Gehrig was a Yankee.

That in itself is enough reason for me.

Pretty gay reason, but it's a true story.

"The Old man and the Sea" plug didn't hurt either.

So...

the reason I'm a Yankees fan is because I'm Asian.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment